Does your child need a little extra reading practice? Participate in our free program where school age children are matched with a ‘big buddy’ teen mentor to practice reading aloud and play games that make literacy fun. Sign up by emailing Melodie Rae at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Literacy refers to the reading, writing, speaking, listening, thinking and number skills
we need at home,
at work, and in our daily lives.
Nelson Library supports specific literacy needs in our community through the following:
- A special collection for new adult readers, English as a Second Language learners and their tutors
- Information about literacy programs and services in our area
- Celebration of International Literacy Day (Sept 8th) and Family Literacy Day (January 27th)
- Partnership with the local literacy organization (CBAL) in offering various literacy based programming – Mother Goose, Books Everywhere, The Winlaw Outreach project, Community Literacy Award, Nelson Reads and more.
For more information contact:
Melodie Rae Storey, Literacy Coordinator
250-505-5683 mstorey @ nelson.ca
Columbia Basin Alliance for Literacy ( CBAL) – a non-program organization working for adult and family literacy in the Columbia Basin.All programs are free of charge.
What CBAL in Nelson offers:
- ESL conversation Club and Classes
- One to one tutoring for adults
- Literacy Drop In at the Learning Place
- Mother Goose program
- Cyber Seniors Computer Classes
- Books Everywhere, Community Literacy award and MORE
Learn more about CBAL – visit their website at www.cbal.org (LOCATION: basement of City Hall)
Joan Exley, Community Literacy Coordinator – email@example.com or call 250-352-3218