thinking and number skills.
Nelson Public Library supports specific literacy needs in our community through the following:
- A special collection for new adult readers, English as a Second Language learners and their tutors
- Information about literacy programs and services in our area
- Celebration of International Literacy Day (Sept 8th) and Family Literacy Day (January 27th)
- Partnership with the local literacy organization (CBAL) in offering various literacy based programming – Mother Goose, Books Everywhere, The Winlaw Outreach project, Community Literacy Award, Nelson Reads and more.
For more information contact:
Erin Maconachie, Literacy Coordinator
Check out a Literacy Backpack!
Check out a Sensory Backpack!
The Columbia Basin Alliance for Literacy (CBAL) is the Basin and Boundary’s only not-for-profit literacy organization, working in 77 communities across south-eastern British Columbia.
CBAL in Nelson offers:
- Adult literacy tutoring
- Settlement services
- English Language classes
- Basic technology programs for seniors and adults
- Family Literacy programs including Mother Goose and Noodle Island
- Parent workshops for supporting children’s reading at home
- Reading support for teens and youth
Learn more about CBAL: visit their website at www.cbal.org
Location: 608 Lake Street in the Nelson and District Youth Centre
Joan Exley, Community Literacy Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-352-3261
See a list of more resources for Literacy & Struggling Readers