Resources for People with Disabilities
- Gale Courses – Offers a wide range of highly interactive, instructor led courses that you can take entirely online. Courses run for six weeks and new sessions begin every month. Courses include: Empowering students with disabilities, Teaching students with learning disabilities, Teaching students with autism, Teaching students with ADSD, and more.
- NNELS: National Network of Equitable Library Service – digital delivery of books for library cardholders with perceptual disabilities. Contact the library for details and to register for access.
Nelson and Local Resources
- Custom Fit Inclusion and Employment Services (CFIT) – Supports adults with diverse abilities to secure employment and build the life they desire. The person-centered service enhances community participation in recreational and volunteer activities as well as paid employment.
- Motion.ca – mobility and home accessibility solutions, local office in Trail.
- abilities.ca – A wealth of Canadian-based information on everything from Arts to Employment to Sexuality. Includes a directory of online Canadian resources on disability.
- CNIB: Canadian National Institute for the Blind – Research, information and assistance for those with vision loss. Their library now includes many electronic books.
- Developmental Disabilities Association (DDA) – Information about their programs and opportunities for those with autism spectral disorder (ASD), cerebral palsy, Downs’ Syndrome and many other developmental disabilities, and their caregivers.
- Disability Alliance BC – Advocacy, programs, education, news and links to other BC and Canadian resources.
- Neil Squire Society – Assistive technology and innovative programs and services for those with physical disabilities.