Welcome to the Tech Hub (About & Register)
Nelson Public Library’s place for creative technology!
About our rooms:
Preserve your memories by digitizing your old photos, slides, video tapes, vinyl records, and audio cassettes. This station has MyMemories Suite and Family Tree Maker software.
Dedicated station offers Adobe Creative Suite software to support your projects from graphic design, photography, editing, to animation.
Recording & Photography Studio
Film and record videos, podcasts, music and more. Find a lighting kit and large green screen, and photography equipment such as a light box and SLR camera.
NEW: Tech Hub Training Workshops Series!
Full Tech Hub Workshops Schedule: PDF file
These sessions are offered January through April 2023
Register to use the Tech Hub
You must be a library member who meet the following requirements:
- Nelson Public Library card is in good standing. (Get a library card!) and valid photo ID
- Complete the Tech Hub Registration – Agreements & Release 2023
- Tech Hub users under 14 must be actively accompanied by a parent or guardian who is a registered Tech Hub user.
- Tech Hub users between 14 and 18 must have their legal guardian sign their Tech Hub Agreement/Waiver.
- We’re still learning too, so please come prepared to work in a self-learning environment.
- Tech Hub rooms may be booked in advance by registered users for two-hour sessions during open hours (Note that all rooms are vacated 30 minutes before closing)
- Bring your own headphones/ear buds.
- Plan your time carefully: once the computer shuts down, all data will be lost. Bring a USB Drive or have a Cloud Storage account for saving your work. If you are working on large digital video, audio, or high definition image projects, you may need a significant amount of storage space (see Tech Tips for an explanation of mobile and cloud storage)
- MP3 files are approx 1MB per minute
- WAV files are 10 MB per minute
- Digitized video is 1 MB per second
Thank you to Columbia Basin Trust, Regional District of Central Kootenay, and the City of Nelson for supporting this project!