Seniors & Outreach
Using the Library
The Library has a wide variety of materials available for loan, including:
- Large print books and Reader’s Digest Large Print magazine
- Audiobooks on CD and downloadable audiobooks
- Victor Readers available to borrow for the vision impaired
- E-readers and e-books are available for loan
- Feature films, TV shows and documentaries on DVD and streaming services
- NNELS (National Network for Equitable Library Service) offers downloadable audiobooks or eBooks to people with a print disability
Mountain Lake Seniors Community & Lakeview Village Library Service
A Nelson Library librarian visits Mountain Lake and Lakeview Village with a selection of books on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. The Mountain Lake visit occurs at 12:30 and the Lakeview Village visit occurs at 2:30. To request specific titles or materials please call Lyndsay at 250-352-6333. Thank you to the Friends of Nelson Elders for the grant that makes this service possible.
Training & Help
- Book-a-Librarian: We offer one-on-one appointments with library staff to help you with library questions or help with basic technology questions. Call 250-352-6333 to book an appointment.
- Tech Support for Seniors: The Columbia Basic Alliance for Literacy (CBAL) offers workshops and one-on-one help for your basic technology questions. Call Joan at 250-505-2361 or visit the CBAL website for more information.
- Learning in Retirement: Membership is open to all 50+ retirees who share a love of learning regardless of their formal education.
- Techboomers: a free educational website that teaches older adults and others with limited computer skills how to use the most popular websites on the Internet.
Local Support Services
- Nelson and District Seniors Coordinating Society: Coordinates services for seniors such as grocery runs, home help, health and fitness programs, tax help, and an online directory for local Legal, Housing, Health and other services.
- Kootenayseniors.ca: The Kootenay Seniors Project was created to improve access to services for seniors and their families, as well as service providers. Provides information on seniors transportation program, home support, health and other local resources.
Government Support Services
- Canada Benefits: Government of Canada benefits for seniors including Finances and Housing and Health, Personal Loss and Safety.
- SeniorsBC.ca: A BC government site that covers a wide range of topics including Active Aging, Finances, Housing, Legal issues, Elder Abuse, and Pensions and Income Assistance.
- Seniors Canada: A Government of Canada site providing information on subjects such as Veterans services, Care facilities, Wills and Estates, Travel and Leisure, and Scams and Frauds.
- Scam Alert: An Royal Canadian Mounted Police site providing Fraud alerts, information on Identity Theft and Identity Fraud, Payment Card Fraud, Email Fraud, Mass Market Fraud, Internet Related Fraud, and Investment and Security Fraud.
- Health link BC: Learn about health topics, check symptoms, or find health services and resources.
- Health Canada: Find out about Health Advisories and Product Recalls, Drugs and Health Products, the Health Care System and more health topics.
Visit the Online Database page for more great online resources. The library subscribes to databases that cover a wide variety of topics including, Auto and Small Engine Repair, Genealogy, Health, Language Learning, Legal information, access to Newspapers, Magazines and Journals, e-books and Audiobooks.
Thank you to the Osprey Foundation for the grant that made this Seniors page possible.