Skip to content

Get / Renew your Library Card

New Member Registration

  • Start here to register for a library card. Your account will be pending until we verify your address is in the member area (see below for more details).
  • Once confirmed, you will get a temporary account until you provide us with proof of residence (driver’s license with current address, phone bill with your name and address, assessment notice, bank statement, etc.).
  • Your library barcode will be sent to the email you provided.

Note for Non-Residents (see definitions and fees below): payment can be made by phone with a credit card (call us 250-352-6333), or send a cheque payable to Nelson Public Library.

Member Renewal

To renew your membership, present proof of residence to staff at the library; or, email with your full name, card number, and photograph of official proof of residence (driver’s license with current address, phone bill with your name and address, assessment notice, bank statement, etc.).

Residents of our area: Nelson, RDCK’s Area F and South H

NPL offers membership to all property owners and residents within the City of Nelson, Areas F and South H of the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK). This is paid through household taxation.

Non-ResidentsRDCK’s Area E, part of H and Slocan City

Residents living in RDCK’s Area E, part of H and Slocan City are required to pay an annual membership fee. Determined by referenda in each area, households in RDCK Areas E and part of H (including Slocan City), do not pay library taxes so are not eligible for a free library card at the NPL.

Costs for Non-Resident Membership

$90/year for a family in the same household, or $23 (3 months) or $45 (6 months). This fee includes library cards for all members of a family living in a single dwelling, and full borrowing privileges.

There is a special rate for individual memberships of $45/year  or $23 (6 months) for one person. This is non-transferable, with borrowing privileges limited to a maximum of 5 items.

Free Student Access Cards

Students who live in Area E are eligible for a free Student Access Card (limited to 5 items) at NPL to access school research materials and online resources among other library items. This funding is provided by a community grant for Area E. The card is not transferable to other family members due to funding restrictions. Area E families can purchase a household membership at the regular rate.

Membership Subsidies

RDCK Area E households may qualify for a subsidy for a membership card when the combined gross income falls within or below the Low Income levels recognized by Statistics Canada. The subsidy covers half the cost of a membership, and the rest of the fee must be paid in full before receiving a library card. A Subsidy Application Form is available at the service desk (or download application).

Membership cost after subsidy (50% of total fees):

  • Family:  1 year – $45 / 6 months – $23 / 3 months – $12
  • Individual:  1 year – $45 / 6 months – $12

Temporary Residents

For people who are in the area for three months or less, a temporary card can be purchased for $30. Borrow up to five items at a time, but no interlibrary loan service. Please provide government picture identification with home address and your temporary local address.

BC OneCard

Do you have a valid library card from another BC library? Bring it in along with your picture ID and we can register you for a BC OneCard to use here.

Institution Cards

$90 per year allows a group or institution to borrow up to 60 items at a time, limited to 5 items on a given topic, to keep our collection available for all community members.

Library card holders’ rights and responsibilities

You are responsible for all the materials borrowed on your card and for any charges on items that are overdue, lost or damaged. (See Loan Periods and Fines for details). Your library card also provides access to our online resources available through the NPL website.

Lost or stolen cards

If you lose your library card, you are responsible for any items checked out on your card. You must report it as lost immediately and we will block the card so that no one can use it. There is a small fee to replace a lost card.

Change of address

It is important for us to have your current information. If you change your address or other personal information, contact us and we’ll update your record.


About your membership